Sometimes, I think I’ve made up childhood memories. Case in point: Easter egg hunts.
I feel I’ve done one before. But, honestly, I can’t remember one. So, I’m wondering if I’ve somehow convinced myself that I did, indeed, participate in this annual Easter ritual. That I just imagined myself in a frilly dress, hunting around the yard for brightly colored eggs and now, as an adult, I believe it to be true.
In honor of my questionable childhood memories, I hid an Easter egg for you…inside of a pound cake!
When my lovely and amazing blogging friend Hani, from Haniela’s, invited to me to participate in an Easter Extravaganza, how could I say no? I’ve had a lot of fun with surprise inside cupcakes (like this, this, and this) and I decided to try it with a pound cake instead.
Here’s how you do it:
- 2 boxes of pound cake mix (feel free to substitute 2 batches of your favorite pound cake recipe) plus required ingredients (egg, butter, etc.)
- Food coloring
- Egg-shaped cookie cutter
- Prepare one box of pound cake mix. Grease and flour an 9×5 loaf pan. Preheat oven according to box directions.
- Divide batter into several different colors.
- [img src=”http://notyourmommascookie.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Easter-Egg-Hunt-Pound-Cake-3-300×199.jpg” alt=”” width=”300″ height=”199″ class=”aligncenter size-medium wp-image-4100″]
- Spoon each color batter into the loaf pan, resulting in different colored layers.
- [img src=”http://notyourmommascookie.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Easter-Egg-Hunt-Pound-Cake-4-300×199.jpg” alt=”” width=”300″ height=”199″ class=”aligncenter size-medium wp-image-4101″]
- Bake according to box directions. Let cool.
- Slice bread into several slices. Cut out an egg shape from each slice (my egg cutter was too large, so I used the largest part of a snowman cutter and then trimmed it).
- [img src=”http://notyourmommascookie.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Easter-Egg-Hunt-Pound-Cake-5-300×200.jpg” alt=”” width=”300″ height=”200″ class=”aligncenter size-medium wp-image-4102″]
- Prepare other box of pound cake mix. Place a small layer of plain batter into the bottom of a 9×5 loaf pan. Add egg shapes in a line down the middle.
- [img src=”http://notyourmommascookie.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Easter-Egg-Hunt-Pound-Cake-6-300×200.jpg” alt=”” width=”300″ height=”200″ class=”aligncenter size-medium wp-image-4103″]
- Spoon the remaining plain batter around the egg shapes, covering completely. Bake as directed. Slice to see shapes!
Please check out all of these amazing Easter creations!
I, Robot Egg Cookie by Hani – Haniela’s