I live in a small town. I grew up in an even smaller town. I’ve traveled to lots of large cities and even though I like to visit, I’m always anxious to get back home to a simpler place. But this…this makes me want to move to LA or NYC:
Image from EW.com
GAME OF THRONES FOOD TRUCK.
As part of a clever marketing campaign, an army of Game of Thrones food trucks was deployed last year, serving a Westeros-inspired menu designed by Tom Collichio. The dessert of choice was lemon cakes, which are prevalent in the book series. If you don’t have the correct sized ramekin (like me), you can either double the amount of batter in 3 ramekins and adjust the cooking time or stack two yummy cakes to make one serving.
Game of Thrones Lemon Cakes
- 1/2 cup white sugar, plus additional for dusting
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 2 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice (fresh is best)
- Zest of 1 1/2 to 2 lemons, finely chopped
- Pinch of salt
1. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees. Butter and sugar 6 ramekins. Sift together the sugar, flour, and salt and set aside.
2. Beat 2 egg whites until you achieve soft peaks. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, lemon juice, lemon zest, and 2 egg yolks. Slowly whisk in the flour mixture and then fold in the egg whites until no white remains.
4. Divide the batter among the ramekins. Prepare a water bath (see detailed instructions here). Cover entire pan with aluminum foil.
5. Bake for 25 minutes and uncover. Bake for an additional 15 to 20 minutes, or until cakes are golden brown. Remove from water bath and let cool for a couple minutes before unmolding.
Find more Game of Thrones inspired treats here.