My favorite non-human character on Glee is Brittany’s overweight cat, Lord Tubbington. I call him LT for short.
Image from glee.wikia.com
One of the funnier storylines involving LT is when Brittany believes that Rory Flanagan (played by Damian McGinty- heavenly voice!) is a leprechaun and can grant her wishes. She wants LT to poop candy bars, so she feeds him nougat and sprinkles and rubs his belly with glitter sticks. Rory, who is obviously not a leprecaun but has a crush on Brittany, places candy bars in LT’s litterbox to fool Brittany. AND THEN THEY EAT THEM.
Image from LAtimes.com
They eat the candy bars that had previously been sitting in a little box. Touching kitty litter. I…I just….ugh. Gross.
I had seen kitty litter cakes before, which are usually reserved as a Halloween gag. But, I thought it would be an especially fitting dessert for this shudder-inducing scene! It’s all edible, of course, except for the box and the scoop (which were never used and sanitized, of course!). Add in some sprinkly, sparkly candy bar poops and you’re done!
Lord Tubbington’s Litter Box Cake
Adapted from Allrecipes.com
- 2 boxes of white cake mix
- 2 small boxes of cheesecake instant pudding
- Ingredients needed for the cake mix and pudding mix (probably milk, water, oil, and eggs – just make sure you have enough!)
- 12 ounces of peanut butter sandwich cookies
- Green food coloring
- At least 7 fun-size candy bars (I used milky way bars, since they have nougat in them, but you can use any that you prefer)
- Disco dust, any color, optional
- A new, never ever used, and sanitized kitty litter box and scoop
1. Bake your cakes. The pan size doesn’t matter, so you can use whatever. Let them cool.
2. Prepare your cheesecake pudding according to the directions and chill.
3. Crush sandwich cookies in a food processor or, if you’re like me and have some pent-up aggression, put them in a strong Ziploc bag and whack them with a food mallet until crumbs form.
3. Set aside 1/4 cup of the cookie crumbs and add some green food coloring until desired shade is reached.
4. Crumble cake into a very large bowl. Add 1/2 of the cookie crumbs and enough pudding to bring it all together (I didn’t use all of mine). Dump the cake mixture into the litter box and pat it down slightly.
5. Microwave your candy bars for 10-15 seconds until soft, but not totally melted. The time may depend on the type of candy bar used!
While warm, cover the candy bars with sprinkles and disco dust, if using. I figured those glitter sticks Brittany used would result in glittery candy.
Using your hands, mold the individual bars together so they aren’t so square-shaped. This is poop, after all! Place on top of cake mixture in litter box.
Sprinkle the cake with the cookie crumbs, including the green crumbs.
Add the scoop and you’re all done!
I think Brittany would approve.
Find more Glee inspired desserts here.