Peggy is my favorite female character on Mad Men. People make assumptions about Peggy based on her appearance. She looks sweet and innocent (and dresses the part). But, don’t mess with this chica. She’s ambitious, smart, and finding her feet in a male-dominated world.
“Let’s get liberated.” – Peggy Olson
Image from AMCTV.com
I knew I needed to make something special for a pistol like Peggy. Something…surprising and unexpected…
Have you ever tried Chuao chocolate? They have fun, unique flavors and one of my favorites is the Firecracker chocolate bar. It has a nice mild spiciness that builds in your throat as you eat it and…surprise…popping candy! Yes, just like Pop Rocks. It is all kinds of awesome. Perfect for a Peggy cookie.
So, how do they taste? This cookie recipe is honestly one of the best I have ever made. They are soft and chewy, with a wonderful, light crunch. Unfortunately, the popping candy didn’t work after a stint in the oven. Still, the cookies were so Peggy – they look just like regular chocolate chip cookies, but then, as you’re eating, it’s starting to feel warm…wow…is it hot in here to you?
You go girl. Get your liberation on.
Peggy’s Firecracker Cookies
- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled (I put mine in the fridge for a couple minutes to quickly get the temperature down)
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 egg plus 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup of Chuao Firecracker chocolate bar, coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Whisk the flour, baking soda, and salt together in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Beat the butter, brown sugar, and white sugar together for about a minute. Beat in the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla. Slowly add the flour mixture until just combined. Gently stir in the chopped chocolate bar pieces.
- Shape dough into balls (about a 1/4 cup each) and place on cookie sheet.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes (do not overbake!). Let cookies cool on the baking sheet.
Adapted from Brown Eyed Baker
Find more Mad Men inspired treats here.