So, I know that the weird mix of letters above means hugs and kisses, but do you know which one means hugs and which one means kisses? Because I didn’t until my husband enlightened me. He said the O’s are hugs and the X’s are kisses.
He said that the O’s are like your arms in a hug. But then…how are X’s like kisses? I guessed that it was because of the way each person tilts their head in the opposite direction when they kiss. Which, turns out, is totally false, according to the all-knowing peoples of the internet. Oh well, I like my theory better.
- One box of white cake mix
- Ingredients to prepare cake mix (typically eggs, water, and oil)
- One can of white frosting
- Red and pink food coloring
- Cupcake liners
- X and O cookie cutters
- 1M tip for icing, optional
- XO sprinkles, optional
- Prepare cake mix as directed. Separate about 1/3 of the batter into two bowls (so about 1/6 of the batter per bowl). Color one bowl pink and one bowl red.
- Grease an 8×8 pan. Spoon the red batter on one side of the pan and pink batter in the other, so there is half a pan of each color. Bake as directed for 8×8 pans.
- Once the 8×8 pan has cooled, use the cookie cutters to cut out X’s and O’s. Cut out 6 of each letter.
- Line a muffin pan with cupcake liners. Place a small amount of uncolored batter in each liner. Place one letter in each cupcake liner, all facing the same direction. Scoop the uncolored batter all around and on top of the colored letter, so it is not visible. Bake as directed for your box mix (bake at the lower end of the cupcake cooking time). Cool.
- Frost (with 1M tip, if desired). Makes approximately 10-12 cupcakes.
This awesome creation may be linked up to one of these link parties.